PDA

View Full Version : turbo?

zen
September 23rd 2002, 16:59
after reading some of the new VWTrends this morning, i wanted to throw the thought out hear for some education (for me).

i have a T1 that i am going to put back in my bug while i spend my sweet time buillding a T4 as funding allows. besides the obvious of that same $$ going to the T4 instead, what are some of the pros and cons of putting a mild turbo on a 1835cc T1 with a stock trans. not looking for anything wild, just some extra horses.

opinions?

Alex
September 23rd 2002, 21:50
This is my opinion.....

why spend the money for a Turbo if you are builiding a T4?
I would rather spend the money on the new motor and drive the old one until it is done. You spend money on something that you will replace eventually. The reason why I am saying this is because I did that way too often. Unless you are able to use that Turbo on the T4 I would not do it even though it will give you some more power. If you need to sell it I am not sure if you get your money back.

Alex

lightning bug
September 23rd 2002, 22:03
I agree with Alex. I AM happy to see the turbo thing starting to rise. Not too happy about seeing carbs though. What's so bad about fuel-injection anyway? Especially with a turbo. IMO I think Trends should get with the trends. NO offense, I love the mag. I subscribe. Just seems like they're still stuck on the Cal-look thing.

Alex
September 24th 2002, 00:09
Nothing wrong with EFI at all.....but it is very expensive.
I was ready to go at it but the costs are just to high. I need to get the car on the road...with carbs for now and maybe later put on the EFI if I feel the urge to modify again.

Alex

zen
September 24th 2002, 13:44
thanks guys. i ask mainly to start some discussion. i seriously doubt i would go that way with this engine. i am not looking to shorten the life of it. i do really like the turbo on my 1.8 Passat though. i have a split second boost controller which is nice for dialing in whenever i need to or don't.

EFI or carb, i have no hangups either way. pricing is the only issue.

would still love to hear more opinions on turbo T1 or TIV though.

NYBugman1972
September 24th 2002, 17:23
I've been thinking about turboing a 1.8 or 2.0 T4 (if 1.8 then I can run the 1.8T badge!). I dont know much about or pretend to know much about turbos, but I think that a smaller displacement T4 with a moderate turbo would be an amazing daily driver car. I'd do a blow-thru with an intake hose from the outside to the firewall, where the turbo would take its air from (enclosed box), and maybe an air/water intercooler.

Either way, I think that the reliability factor of the T4 coupled with the power making abilities of the turbo AND the T4 would make for a reliaboe, powerful turbo'd street engine.

It's a different approach, especially if you dont have the engine building skill. You could fab up a turbo system to a stock engine for the same $ as buiilding a bing N/A engine.

Oh, wait.... that wasnt the question...:D

I sat if you are going T4, put all available funds into the T4. Why spend money on a temporary engine? Unless you can figure a way to use the turbo on the T4, don't do it.

lightning bug
September 24th 2002, 21:36
Originally posted by Alex
Nothing wrong with EFI at all.....but it is very expensive.
I was ready to go at it but the costs are just to high. I need to get the car on the road...with carbs for now and maybe later put on the EFI if I feel the urge to modify again.

Alex
I was mainly referring to FI on a turbo set-up. It just seems too risky with carbs on a system that relies on constant fuel pressure. You're right, the cost is high, but well worth it. I can't wait to install my EFI set-up.

Oliver Knuf
September 27th 2002, 03:48
Just an idea:

Using a cheap c/w 66mm crank with 94mm Type 1 Mahle pistons for 69mm stroke in new 94mm Type 4 cylinders, type 1 original lifters, stock valve train and 42mm x 38mm heads, slightly p&p, makes a cheap Type 4 for turbo-use!

WipEout
October 2nd 2002, 05:49
My biggest concern would be (and actually is, since I'm fiending for a turbo in my car like a crack addict) the exhaust. Almost every turboed bug either has a raised decklid, no decklid, or no rear apron (Check out Germanlook.com's engine galleries). Is there any way to turbo a T4 without body mods to accomodate the exhaust runners? Look at the car recently featured in Trends: He had to cut into the rear apron to fit that turbo, and still cant leave the decklid on... I want to turbo my car, but I don't want anyone else to know it's ther until I've passed the bastards ;) !

DAVID MANN

NYBugman1972
October 2nd 2002, 06:56
What about putting a turbo next to a porsche shroud, like Moggy's S/C setup. That shroud makes a ton of room.

Moog
October 2nd 2002, 08:50
Put the turbo up under the rear inner wing in front of no'1 cylinder - fits nicely. Have a look at Mark Thurstons Oval on http://www.lbc2.com - there's a pic of the engine on it's own which shows the turbo position nicely :)

I wouldn't want to put a turbo in the engine bay with a closed engine lid - all that heat the turbo will radiate into the air that will be sucked into the cooling fan :eek:

Moog

lightning bug
October 2nd 2002, 17:04
That's the reason I want to use a Porsche shroud..... for more room. I'm also running a T4 compressor. A T3/T4 to be specific. I don't want a raised decklid either. I'm also running an intercooler. (more piping) I think the Porsche shroud will be my solution.