PDA

View Full Version : what to look for on a...

zen
September 25th 2002, 23:09
what should i look for on a used 1974 1.8l 914 engine? may have a good deal on it if it is the right engine. what are some things i need to keep an eye out for? it seems to be mostly stock save a pair of weber 40IDA carbs.

Sandeep
September 26th 2002, 09:34
If you are not considering a rebuild in the near future, I think you should be looking for an engine that is in running condition. That way you know it will run.

I have been searching for an engine for about 3 months now and I finally found one that I am comfortable in buying. In my searches, all the engines I found had been sitting and the sellers were not sure if they ran or not.

The engine I found (914 2.0 GA 002446) had come from a 914 that had just been in a front end collision. No oil leaks and a strong runner.

I am not going to rebuild this now...I want a runner that I can just install.

Sandeep

zen
September 26th 2002, 09:52
thanks sandeep. that is the same boat i am in. i want a runner that i can just to topend stuff to and drop in for now. i still have to get details (hopefull tonight as i have to make a decision in the next two days), but he claims it ran well when he took it out 6 weeks ago. he sent me a pretty useless video of it running for 11sec. i can't attach due to size, but can email it if you want (1MB).

it has the trans, heat exchangers and exhast with it even though i can't use those. if i can get it cheap enough, it is probably with it just for the carbs. though those are 2 years old weber 40 IDAs.

i suppose i could always resell if i get it at a good enough price. i have attached a pic of the engine.

just wasn't sure of features and specs preferences in the years and liter options on TIV.

MdR
September 26th 2002, 10:00
Zen
Have you thought of either getting an engine from or trying to sell the bits you don't need to AutoAtlanta the 914/4 shop?
505 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta GA (404) 427-2844
Martin

zen
September 26th 2002, 14:07
i have. their prices are pretty high for purchase. i will talk with them though if i get this about buying the trans, etc.

so what is a fair price do you think? i am thinking $300 is a good price and $400 tops. thoughts?

Alex
September 26th 2002, 14:14
Well I think of 300-400$ is the low end. Think about it.....you have dual carbs already on that motor. What is he asking?

Look at it this way.......Jake sold a longblock I believe for 800$ which I thought was a steal......specailly because he was selling it and saying that it was a great running engine before. It was gone in an hour......to late for me to tell Sandeep about it.
I think for a good running motor you would have to be willing to spend 500/600$ to 1000$ depending on the milage on it.

Just some food for the brain. I am not to sure if you want to risk getting a 300$ "I do not know how it runs" motor.
those IDAs are worth something too....even though they are 40s.

Jake is in your neighbourhood. Did you ask him if he has a good longblock?

Alex

Sandeep
September 26th 2002, 16:24
Zen,

The guy I bought the engine off of also has a running 1.7.

Are you interested in that ?

Sandeep

MdR
September 26th 2002, 16:25
Why not run the engine up on the floor to see how it runs?
You seem to have all the necessary bits there, starter, 'box to support the flywheel, carbs, exhaust etc. all you gotta add is fuel & a battery for spark.
Also IDAs or IDFs? Just curious!
Martin

zen
September 26th 2002, 18:45
IDA's (or so he says). i talked with him earlier. he said it came from a 914 project car. pulled 6 weeks ago. ran a little rich, but drove it from NC to GA. he estimates 110k and no sign of a rebuild :( . he is only looking to get $250 for all of it and will consider splitting the parts if needed. it is an ebay item though, so i have to play the game. i have high bid at $255. no big deal if it passes i guess.

going to see him saturday. he thinks he has the stuff to get it running and do a compression check. i always figured i would go 2.0l. why not? but i guess if the deal is there. why not?

sandeep, it is probably not worth me trying to ship a 1.7 from there, running or not. there has to be some local options given the nieghborhood (between jake and auto atl being around). thanks for the offer though.

Oliver Knuf
September 27th 2002, 03:28
If you have 40 IDA's, what I can't believe, as they are used only decades ago, I would be highly interested in them, maybe changing them for good IDF's or DRLA's!

More common was the 40 PII from Solex, I think they are the carbs, used on this engine!