PDA

View Full Version : F I N A L L Y !!!

Sandeep
September 26th 2002, 16:22
I have FINALLY got myself a 914 2.0 GA 220446 code engine with euro pistons already installed (8.0 to 1 CR). This was from a car that was in a front end collision last week and the motor was running fine.

After about 3 months of looking, I have finally found what my bug needs. I paid a small premium for the euro pistons but am happy overall because I know it ran strong.....kind of like picking up a heart after the person dies (sorry for the comparison).

So....the engine comes without a distributor.... What do you guys think about the Crane Fireball CD system XR3000 ? Apparently this is compatable with the 009 I have right now. Its an optical pickup system that the previous owner ran but removed because he's keeping it.

Any thoughts ? I already have a 009 so I'd like to use it to keep the costs down, but any item I buy will need to be compatable with a 2270 that I am planning for the future (2 to 3 yrs)

Thanks.
Sandeep

lightning bug
September 26th 2002, 18:52
Nice score!! Is it going in the racecar? I'll have to come to the track when you're running to check it out. I'm not too familiar with the Crane ignition though. I use an MSD 6AL. Worked awesome on my 1776 and I'm using it on my 2165T. My friend's also using it with an 009. Plus its got a rev limiter. Keep us posted about the racing also. I love to see the aircooleds kick some tail.

kdanie
September 26th 2002, 18:57
Type 4s don't like the advance curve of the 009, spend the money on a Mallory (with or without the vacume advance, I recomend the vacume advance model). Super high quality and worth every penny. Your engine will love you for it!
ken

Oliver Knuf
September 27th 2002, 03:16
I checked a while ago all advance curves of original distributors, the 009, the 050, 010 even Mexican transistor igintions, vacuum and non-vacuum models, tested on a special stand. My solution looks a bit different from you looks.

The Mexican version for beetles up to 92 was exactly the best I found, total advance of 20° with a very nice curve on the diagram, pulls hard on every type 4. Checked it against a 009 and a 050 on a dyno, getting the best results with the Mex thing. 009 and 094 even ran differnet from each other but are the best-for-the-money to bolt-on. Ahh, yes, I ran German and Brasilian 009! The old (no longer available) German 009 ran better with a much smoother curve!

I had problems getting a good vacuum advance point on a doulbe carbed engine. No way to get a really clear signal. I stay with centrifugal advence.

Next item is a Treuhaft and a Mallory when I find the time for testing!

Did these tests before for our Type 1 cup engine and for my Type 4!

oval55
September 28th 2002, 00:42
Hey Sandeep, I figured it was you who picked up the 2.o from montreal. I lost sleep over it, but i guess they would have built more than one of the euro 2.0. Good luck with it. Darren:broken:

Sandeep
September 28th 2002, 08:59
Thanks Darren,

I was just lucky.....I was looking at the type 4 stuff for sale and I guess the guy just posted about 20 minutes before I looked.

I was on the rensport.ca site and the engine and parts was posted for a week or so before STF.

Sandeep

oval55
September 28th 2002, 11:40
Hey Sandeep, if you could keep your ear to the ground for any more great 2.0's, preferable in Canada, it would be greatly appreciated... THanks Darren

Sandeep
September 28th 2002, 12:50
Darren,

Mihai has a complete running 1.7 with FI if you are interested.

Sandeep

oval55
September 28th 2002, 16:41
I,m a rockie with T4 stuff, coorect me if I am wrong. a 1.7 has a different crank, bore and stroke than a 2.0, so would I not be better to find a 2.0 to start with for a rebuild. I think Im going to seriously crunch some numbers to see the comparison of complete rebuild of a 2.0 and converting it over to a T1 compared to the cost of a complete 2270 from Jake. Has anyone out there done this, and which way would you go.

I presently have a 1835 with all the goodies and dual Dellortos in my '69 and also a rebuildable 1.7. But I have 2 beetles , so I need 2 engines. The question is what would it cost to have a comparable engine as to one Jake could build. I know with the rebuild one I will not have Jakes technology and craftmanship and I think I am willling to pay the price for that. Does anyone in Canada have the same engine building experience as Jake.

Questions , questions, questions all your input is appreciated.

Sandeep
October 11th 2002, 12:16
The engine just got delivered today ! Wooooo !!

I'm going to take the heads off and get them cleaned up this weekend. I'm going to get them checked for cracks and have the seats looked at. The PO said they looked fine but I just want to be sure.

Any thing else I should be looking at while they are off ? The app is a daily driver, stock engine with 44 IDF's until I go ahead with the 2270cc buildup.

any comments appreciated !

Sandeep