PDA

View Full Version : T4 Headstuds & copper gaskets

MdR
September 26th 2002, 16:49
I'm (eventually) gonna be running 8.0:1CR & Turbo on 1971cc T4

Anyone got any suggestions regarding uprated headstuds/Std new studs/reuse old studs?
Also where to buy them from? VAG (UK) list std new studs @ just over £150GBP for all 16. (but they've only got 4 of one length in stock)

Do I really need copper headgaskets. Aluminium isn't a great deal harder than copper & cylinder heads are already made of it (!)

Thanks
Martin

kdanie
September 26th 2002, 18:54
I don't know about sources of studs in the UK but most builders are not running gaskets at all. Ensure your cylinder/head mating surfaces are true and cut the ridge like Oliver showed in a previous post and you should be fine.
ken

lightning bug
September 26th 2002, 18:56
I'm using stockers on my 2165T. Cro-moly doesn't flex enough. My builder runs stockers on his 1776T buggy with 25 PSI. Not a problem yet. Sometimes you're just paying for hype. 8.0:1 might be a little high for a turbo(on a T1 anyway). You'll want to be around 7 or 7.5:1. 8.0:1, you risk higher head temps. So the only reason you might want to use a copper gasket is to lower your compression.

MdR
September 27th 2002, 03:21
cut the ridge like Oliver showed in a previous post
Please point me to this post I can't find it!

Oliver Knuf
September 27th 2002, 03:24
I use original studs for my engines, only de-stretched and plated through a shop here. On normal engines I use them as they are, USED! Maybe Limbach studs would help. They are done for the aircooled waterboxer conversions and for the Type 1 airplane engines. These are awesome. 200 Euros a set!