PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 weight

oval55
October 4th 2002, 19:58
Deos anyone know the approximate weight of a complete 2.0. Need this info for shipping quote.

Here is a question, what transmission is in a 74 914, will it work far a beetle conversion?

Hey Sandeep, I got me a 2.0 Euro spec engine today and it is even closer to me than the one you got from Montreal. I guess if your not in a hurry things just show up. Did you put different calipers on the rears using 944 stuff?

thanks Darren

Sandeep
October 4th 2002, 20:35
Awesome Darren !

The shipping cost me $105.00...that was with a lift gate on the truck and the bare longblock with no tin...I think the weight was about 190 lbs ? Look to get a quote from a shipping company like Fastfrate...thats who I used.

I've got 930 rear rotors (309mm x 28mm) using the 944 bolt on backing plates on stock beetle arms and 944 Turbo front calipers.

I'm still waiting for the calipers to get here...#@$#$ PAP...I paid for them about a week and a half ago (Ebay)

It looks like they will bolt on but when I get them, I will test fit and then write a tech article. I just have to figure out the ebrake cable hook up...will work on it this weekend.

Congrats on the engine. What shroud are you going to use ?

Sandeep

oval55
October 4th 2002, 23:06
Hey.... I love the look of the 911 fan/shroud, but man are they ever pricey.. DTM would be my second choiceif they are available. Our maybe the cheap way out by using the small shroud and the fiber cooling tin???? Who knows, if I wait long enough something will come up.
What about you,? Shroud, carbs, exhaust, ignition? :silly:

Sandeep
October 5th 2002, 09:01
I'm waiting on some info on the FAT setup....Alex mentioned that for a late style bug (like mine) I would have to cut a small opening above the licence plate light to clear the fan.....I've seen this done on some bugs in Volksworld.... You then move the licence plate up and no one will know.

That will be my first choice because I love the look of the 911 setup. Second is going to be CALI and third, the DTM.
I'm waiting on the Cali book to arrive. There has GOT to be a way to limit the flow of the 911 fan...and I will find it.

Carbs...44IDF's, Exhaust...undecided. From this stage forward, everything I buy has to work on a future 2270cc or something in that size area. Ignition will be a 050 for now....would like the Mallory Unilite and Hyfire box....or a Crane Fireball XR3000 box...

Problem right now is I've got a budget for Carbs, DTM...but no budget for Ignition, Exhaust...

Working hard at it though !!

vujade
October 5th 2002, 09:40
Sandeep

why the Fat setup vs the Sharpbuilt or BAS?

oval55
October 5th 2002, 10:47
DO these guys have Web sites so I can look at the different options out there?

vujade
October 5th 2002, 17:05
DTM Shroud (http://www.spiretech.com/~opshroud/)

BAS Shroud (http://www.ahnendorp.com/beetle2.html)

Sharpbuilt Shrouds (http://dataline.net.au/~sharpblt/)

Sandeep
October 6th 2002, 16:03
I'm looking at the FAT setup only because it requires no machining to the case (from what I have heard). It means the fan will sit 41mm higher on the case. Also, they are in the States...I don't want to pay overseas shipping.

Alex mentioned that I might have to cut a slot in my decklid to clear the fan.

I've got an issue of Volksworld (Mar 99) with a blue GL with a twin turbo 1.8L type 4. If you look at the rear decklid, you can see a half moon slot cut out...its tough to see because he moved his licence plate up to cover it...but its there.

In Keith Seume's book VW Beetle, the New custom handbook, on pg 69 and 81 there is a maroon beetle with a type 4 and porsche fan with the same slot cut out to clear the fan...again its not noticable because the licence plate has been moved up.

I'm looking into this further...going to order the FAT catalog...I don't mind cutting that little slot in my decklid if it means I don't have to machine the case. In the future, If I need another case, it means I could sell the old one because it is stock...no machining to the breather.

Sandeep

oval55
October 6th 2002, 18:11
Sandeep , keep me posted on the Fat setup, I would like not to machine the case, because then I would be enticed to rebuild the engine. Now that could get out of hand..

Alex
October 6th 2002, 18:27
Oval55,

if you are giong to put that T4 into your Oval forget the FAT setup. Your rear decklid is flat in comparrison to the later decklids. Your cut out would be even bigger and you are not able to hide it.
If that is of concern get a DTM or get the case machined. There is hardly room in an Oval to fit a 911 shroud with a machine case.

Alex

Philippe
October 7th 2002, 20:39
Hey guys, I have the FAT catalog in my garage somewhere, I'll try and find it and get you some info.

Eduardo
October 7th 2002, 21:03
Hi,

This is my first answer
This forum looks great, great partnership.
Iīm building a 550 spyder and I will need a lot of your know how in vw type 1.

Oval 55:
Originally posted by oval55
Here is a question, what transmission is in a 74 914, will it work far a beetle conversion?

I have a 74 914, the 901 trans in this car is a sidehifter (73-76)
I donīt believe that is a good idea for a bug.
The linkage attaches to the left side of the trans and you will need to change the satelite (this trans is for mid engine )

You will need a 911,912 901 trans that have the shifter mechanism in the tail like the bug and is already for rear engine.
you will need 901 pressure plate,clutch and trow out bearing,911,912,914 starter or you can use newer 1.5 hp starter.
You can use bus flywheel , 914 ype 4 flywheel or 912e 76 (type4) flywheel.

regards

Sandeep
October 8th 2002, 08:51
Philippe,

That would be great ! I'm going to order probably next week for my research library !

Sandeep

Philippe
October 8th 2002, 14:04
Well it looks like the catalog won't be much help, it doesn't go into much detail about the shroud. It says,

"Utilizes 911 fan and alternator assembly. Includes fiberglass shroud, pulley, fan belt, mountstraps, hardware and instructions. Ultimate cooling."

Thats about it, there's a picture, and a few other related parts. Doesn't say if it clears the decklid or not, but from the looks of it, it doesn't. I always thought that people were cutting the decklids to get more fresh air because the porsche fan moves so much air, not because it hit. Don't most of the european guys use the shroud that requires machining?

They also have a type I style kit for type IV.

I would rather run the 911 style kit on my type 4 conversion for looks, but they are SO expensive and more of a hassle to install that I think I will end up running a DTM.

Alex
October 8th 2002, 14:22
The Europeans use the one that requires the machining to the case because it clears te decklid on all cars. They also normally cut an opening behind the license plate so that the fan can get the air it needs without taking all of it from the engine compartment directly.

In the 90s there was a company that had a shroud that cleared the decklid that did not require machining. The shrould was from WILKE in Cologne. Do not know if they still have them. It only clears the late style decklid. Forget it on early cars. You have to get the pulley because it sits closer to the case I think to push the fan back a bit.
Alex

Sandeep
October 8th 2002, 15:21
According to these pics the FAT shroud does fit with some modification to the late style decklid.

http://www.wpvw.com.au/images/hill%20climber/L08.JPG

http://www.wpvw.com.au/images/hill%20racing/a4.jpg

This is going to be my goal.....911 cooling for my 914 2.0 with no mods to the case.... instead of the 'bubble' I'm going to cut the decklid for clearance and then raise the licence plate.

Sandeep

Alex
October 8th 2002, 15:28
Ehhh...that pic is an early style decklid (W decklid). I am not sure on how many Oval and Split guys would be willing to do this to their rare rear decklids. The later style decklids...on a Super for example....curve out a lot more. That is why the cut is a lot smaller and you can hide it easier. Also the license plate light is a lot bigger and hides more.

Alex

oval55
October 8th 2002, 20:22
Wow, teh left rear wheel is off the ground. he must be coming out of one serious corner with ample speed. That car is very impressive, Is that the look your going for Sandeep?

Alfito
October 9th 2002, 02:12
Hey Sandeep, is it posible that you can post a scanned image about this? I am planning to make the same cut but I do not know how it is going to look. Decklid is the later one.

I've got an issue of Volksworld (Mar 99) with a blue GL with a twin turbo 1.8L type 4. If you look at the rear decklid, you can see a half moon slot cut out...its tough to see because he moved his licence plate up to cover it...but its there. :)

Sandeep
October 9th 2002, 09:00
Alfito,

I will scan it in this weekend. Are you using the FAT shroud on a T4 ?

Sandeep

Alfito
October 10th 2002, 21:09
Not yet, but I will, hopefuly at the end of the year. My target is a 2.7L, type IV, with a 9.0:1 CR. On the other hand my car is a bug model 73, and the decklid is the one with two vents. I want to cut as less as possible, in order to hide the weapon from the crowd. :)