PDA

View Full Version : 228mm flywheel with bug gear-box

oliveddk
October 16th 2002, 10:55
HI!

I'm french, so sorry for my english,

I realy whant to know if i can put the 228mm fly-wheel of 914 2L of my T4 engin in an IRS gear box of bug.

If i can't i want to know witch fly-wheel is available with my gear-box.

Thank you for your answer and have a good trip!!!:help:

kdanie
October 16th 2002, 11:52
Oliveddk,
The 914 used a 215mm flywheel, the 228mm flywheel came on type 2s. The 914 flywheel will fit into your type 1 irs trans but the starter ring gear teeth will be too deep into the trans. It may still work but you need a 210mm or 215mm flywheel from a type 2 to fit correctly.
ken

Moog
October 17th 2002, 08:30
I'm putting a 2.1 wasserboxer in my Bug, and this has a 228mm flywheel/clutch. The flywheel seems to fit OK and meshes OK with the starter, but the clutch pressure plate fouls the inside of the gearbox casing in a few places, so needs some clearancing to be done to the gearbox. It doesn't seem to need much clearancing though - just a few mm, and only in some spots.

Don't forget to put a bush or needle roller bearing in the centre of the flywheel to support the type 1 input shaft.

Steve C
October 17th 2002, 10:36
Hi

I have a 2.1 WBX in my bug, the 228 can be made to fit but it will need a lot of grinding. I now use a 215 from a 1800 Kombi and this fits fine.

Steve C

Martice
October 25th 2002, 08:01
Yeah.. I am looking for a good 215 flywheel for almost an year now....found some but they were trashed...
The 228 flywheel in t1 trans is a little risky but it can be done.
But it requires the use of a self supporting starter.(from auto trans)

check out http://www.tunacan.net/t4/ (http://www.tunacan.net/t4)

Tom has some very good info about type4 conversion(flywheel included).

Eveyone recomands the use of a 210 or a 215mm flywheel for the t1 trans.

Martin

oliveddk
October 25th 2002, 13:50
THANK'S FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!!!

In fact I choose to use the 215 mm flywheel, because with the 228mm you need to found a 911 (2.0 or 2.2) strater or one of an automatic gear-box bug (sorry for my english!! :) ).
And you have to modifi the clutch and the gear-box so too mutch work to winn.... Nothing because the 228 flywheel is too heavy ...
Any-way i informe you for my next modification

See you Olive D.D.K POWERED!!!!!

Moog
October 27th 2002, 15:55
Why do you need the self supporting starter with the 228 flywheel? My standard starter goes in and seems to mesh fine.

I have a T4 Auto starter in the garage if necessary, but cannot see why i have to use this over the stock one. The supported nose of the stock starter is not fouling on flywheel as i have been told it will.

What am i missing here?

Martice
October 28th 2002, 04:02
Originally posted by Moog
Why do you need the self supporting starter with the 228 flywheel? My standard starter goes in and seems to mesh fine.

I have a T4 Auto starter in the garage if necessary, but cannot see why i have to use this over the stock one. The supported nose of the stock starter is not fouling on flywheel as i have been told it will.

What am i missing here?

The problem is that the starter support bushing may become damaged by clearance gringing ofr the fittings.If its damaged a self supported starter is needed, a starter witch does not require a bushing for the gear support.

So it could work or it could not work but if you have only one trans you have to be carefull and have and extra ss starter...
I have not installed a 228in a t1 trans but someone who did could tell us how it ended.

Martin

Oliver Knuf
October 28th 2002, 07:43
The 228mm and the 215mm 914 flywheels will both fit into a beetle gearbox housing, they need to be machined a bit more.

The flywheels need a stepcut at the mounting surface of the pressure plate and the surface for the disc is also to be machined. Both surfaces have to be moved 2mm towards the engine (flywheel gets a bit thinner). Even then you have to grind out a whole lot from your gearbox, but not as much as before, so there will be no more openings in the housing! A self geared starter is also important. A starter from a auto-stick beetle or a hi-torque is the solution!

Danborn
November 14th 2002, 21:00
I'm running a 2.1 wasserboxer in my oval, and it has a 228mm flywheel/clutch. The flywheel/clutch fouls the inside of the gearbox casing in a few places, so I did a lot clearance in the gearbox. It can be done but the gearbox is paper thin in some places.
And I use a 181/Porsche/T-1 Automatic starter as the stock starter when engaged will foul on flywheel. You could use a T-3/25/Vanagon starter with a 10mm spacer

Jesper

Danborn
November 14th 2002, 21:05
By the way...I did not machine or stepcut at the mounting surface of the pressure plate it's al stock, it works perfect!

Jesper

Martice
November 15th 2002, 05:50
pls tell me more about this!:"You could use a T-3/25/Vanagon starter with a 10mm spacer"

vanagon starters and 228 flywheels are all over the place here.This could be something !

Martin

Danborn
November 16th 2002, 16:00
The T-3/25/ Vanagon starter axel is longer than the T-1 it will not foul with clutch. But be course it’s longer it needs a spacer between starter and gearbox. 10mm. Will do it, just machine a copy of the starter flange with a step cut to match the starter. Hope it make sense

Jesper

Martice
November 16th 2002, 17:09
Yes, it makes sense :)

Good idea!hope it works.

Do you know the starter code(I'am interested in the transporter/ bus starter code as its easyer to find)

Thanks for the tip.

Martin

Danborn
November 17th 2002, 18:20
Martin, here is a T-3/T25/Vanagon Starter Spacer Pic..

Jesper

Martice
November 18th 2002, 05:14
Thanks! :)

Very nice of you to post a pic :D

Didn't knew about that at all.I'll try it! but first to find that starter...

later,

Martin