PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket oil cooler mounting

havik180
November 15th 2002, 19:17
I am curious where oil coolers (w/elec. fans) can be mounted safely on a super's chassis while still being beneficial to the cooling process ?! I've noticed a lot have been mounted on the under side of the parcel tray , are there any clearence issues ? and also is there some kinda bracket to leave a slight gap between the body and the cooler (to let air flow between cooler and body) ?

VW911
November 15th 2002, 20:00
You should not have any problem if you are buying one of those coolers you see in the mags. Clearance should not be a problem.

To get the gap you need between the undercarriage and the mounting surface, get 4 vw rabbit radiator rubber bushings. They will give you the space you need and also absorb the vibrations.

Pillow
November 17th 2002, 00:30
You can make your own if you are creative enough.

Personally I think a fan is overkill in most cases for the street at least.

Try a Volvo or RX-7 cooler. Maybe even a remote Audi 5000 oil cooler (doghouse)

Oliver Knuf
November 20th 2002, 05:29
Try a fan cooler from Mesa with a good fan. CB sells them for example. Use the mentioned rubber mounts but mount it also in the curve of the rear trunk metal, left over the gearbox in drivers position!

Pillow
November 20th 2002, 14:55
A problem with some of the fan kits is the ID of the cooler is 3/8" which is crap.

The VW should have at least 1/2" ID cooler and a 30mm oil pump to push the additional oil.

Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873095188

Also the Volvo coolers are GREAT! For a mildish engine like 1776. Maybe a low compression 1914. I have pics, but too large to clip on. I have one boxed ready to ship for $20 + shipping cost.

This is cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872997263

zen
November 20th 2002, 15:49
hey adrian, i bought the one for my 1600. think it is too small for the 2.0l TIV?

Pillow
November 20th 2002, 16:46
Hey Zen,

If you are keeping the T4 cooler in lets say a DTM conversion you will hardly need any addtional cooling so I think the Volvo cooler would be good security mounted above the tranny with a thermoswitch on it. Maybe a sandwitch remote filter adapter right above the oil filter to the cooler.

I have been really impressed with the Volvo coolers. The 1/2" ID gives it amazing flow characteristics.

We need to get together anyway and I will show you how I would set the system up :)

Take Care,

Shad Laws
November 21st 2002, 17:52
Hello-

The position that you mount the cooler in can have a DRASTIC effect on how well it performs!

Obviously, the best place is up in front, but it's also the most difficult and expensive to fab up.

The most common is horizontally atop the tranny. IMHO, this is also the second-worst place to mount it (the worst being in the engine bay itself). The big problem is that the air that cools the cooler isn't really forced out of the cavity up there, so it can circle around and around, blowing hot air over the cooler.

For a good bang-for-buck location, mount it vertically to the side of the tranny. Air passing through the cooler will be directed away from it by the natural movement of the car. Use a good Mesa-style cooler and a fan (the fan DOES make a big difference... I recently had mine stall and I could tell!). The hardest part of this installation is the mounting - things are very tight back there. Be sure to avoid the CV boots, the clutch cable and bowden tube, and the trailing arm. But, once installed, it gets excellent airflow. Plus, unlike the over-the-tranny installation, the heated air is transmitted away from the cooler by the natural movement of the car. My testing has found this to be a HUGE benefit.

Take care,

57mutant
November 21st 2002, 18:34
Shad
I have two of the slim line oil coolers and fans that CB Perf. sells. I was going to mount them horizontally above the tranny. When the time comes I'll look into your vertical position. Couple of questions on that set up. I assume you hang them parallel to the tranny. Do you have the fans on the inside (tranny side) or outside (wheel side) of the coolers? Any other tips on this installation? Thanks

Shad Laws
November 21st 2002, 22:56
Hello-

I have two of the slim line oil coolers and fans that CB Perf. sells. I was going to mount them horizontally above the tranny. When the time comes I'll look into your vertical position. Couple of questions on that set up. I assume you hang them parallel to the tranny.

No. I guess I didn't explain that very well... sorry.

The cooler is perpendicular to the tranny, i.e. it's parallel to the halfshaft. Lotsa airflow :-).

Do you have the fans on the inside (tranny side) or outside (wheel side) of the coolers? Any other tips on this installation? Thanks

Cooling fans are typically best as pullers, not pushers, so it goes on the rear side of the cooler. Plus, this will keep most of the debris from hitting the fan.

Take care,

Pillow
November 22nd 2002, 00:19
Shad, good to see you here sir!

My concerns with a lot of the fan cooler kits it the ID is 3/8" and not a true 1/2". So just be careful when selecting the kit.

I like Shad's mounting idea... I have to mock it up to see how to hang it though.

Take Care,

Shad Laws
November 22nd 2002, 04:51
Hello-

Shad, good to see you here sir!

Why thank ya! :-)

My concerns with a lot of the fan cooler kits it the ID is 3/8" and not a true 1/2". So just be careful when selecting the kit.

Or, just buy the pieces seperately...

Mesa/PermaCool/Long oil coolers are an excellent buy for the buck, and are available from many sources in the states for somewhat cheap. Of course, brands like Setrab are slightly superior, but unfortunately the price reflects it, too... (are they any cheaper in Europe???)

[BI like Shad's mounting idea... I have to mock it up to see how to hang it though.[/B]

Just watch the trailing arm... trust me... :-(.

Take Care,

havik180
November 22nd 2002, 21:46
Shad, do you have a pic of how you're talking about mountig the cooler ?!

danielzink
November 23rd 2002, 00:48
I think ("think") this is what Shad is trying to convey.
here's a pic of "one" of my oil coolers - I have another mounted an the opposite side of the trans -both with thermostatically controlled fans.

http://www.geocities.com/danielzink/cooler.JPG

Dan

Just highlight/copy and paste the above into your browser.

Shad Laws
November 23rd 2002, 05:30
Hello-

I think ("think") this is what Shad is trying to convey.
here's a pic of "one" of my oil coolers - I have another mounted an the opposite side of the trans -both with thermostatically controlled fans.

http://www.geocities.com/danielzink/cooler.JPG

No, that's still horizontal. My setup is vertical, and approximately fits into a transverse-vertical (i.e. perpendicular to longitudinal) plane of the car.

I don't have a good picture... Maybe I should get one of my dirty car... :-)

BTW, haven't talked to ya in awhile, Dan. How are ya?

Take care,

danielzink
November 24th 2002, 23:29
<BTW, haven't talked to ya in awhile, Dan. How are ya?>

things are good !!

Spent the summer beating on the 2600 (and beating on some camaros and mustangs !!) - unfortunately..living in a small town...your reputation WILL precede you ;D.

You should come up to Auburn for '03 !! I'll have my bug and the notch and Perso should have his bug (maybe even Griz !!) - we'd make a great show !

Sounds like you & charles are busy trying to make the type4 world better for us all - keep up the good work !!

Dan

havik180
November 25th 2002, 01:40
does an external cooler replace the stock "in shroud" cooler or is it just added in line with the full flow system ?

danielzink
November 25th 2002, 08:39
<<does an external cooler replace the stock "in shroud" cooler or is it just a>>

right now I'm running 3 oil coolers.
The "in shroud" stock oil cooler (in a DTM) and the 2 plate coolers.

I do a lot of highway driving @ 85/90 +, my head temps always stay well within range but I've seen my oil temps rise beyond where I wanted them (the reason for the fans on the oil coolers. I'm running 78x103 (2600cc)

Dan