PDA

View Full Version : T4 Flywheel shims

Sandeep
November 20th 2002, 18:44
Man, I didn't think this was going to be tough....

I'm looking for some shims to set the endplay for the crank/flywheel on my 914 engine.

I've tried locally but no one has them... CIP and Aircooled.Net don't have them either....

I've got the old shims that came with the engine but they are lighly discolored and cupped a bit. Can I reuse these ?

If not, where can I get these elusive shims ?

Thanks

Sandeep

Pillow
November 21st 2002, 16:22
Damn! They should have some!

FWIW the T1 and T4 shims are the same.

If there are any VW junkyards or motor shops near by they can help out for sure.

I have some if you are really stuck in a bind, but I would just need to know what thickness you need to get the right shim stack for you. On a T4 you need 2 shims, T1 gets 3.

... It is better done locally as getting the right endplay takes time. I just did one on a T1 1600 two days ago and literally had to test fit it 8 times to get it where I liked it. No something that just slaps together :(

Good luck,

Sandeep
November 21st 2002, 18:08
Thanks Pillow.

Are you sure about the T1 and T4 being the same ? I ordered a 'Shim Pack' from ACN but then I got an email saying I ordered T1 shims and it would not work with a T4.

The 2.0 I have has 3 shims.....I thought they all got 3 shims ?

I'm a little confused now ... :confused:

Sandeep

Pillow
November 21st 2002, 18:43
LOL not trying to confuse you I swear :)

I can check the Tom Wilson book tonight to verify, but I am almost certain T4 gets only 2 shims.

Also if the shims are not the same then every VW engine I have seen has not had the right shims... Which is a lot!

The shims are larger than the crank so do not let that hinder you to thinking they are different.

Maybe the T4 and T1 shims are of a different thickness to begin with and that is the ordering difference?

PS you Sandeep's are taking over the world! When I pulled this thread up a Sandeep I work with walked over to my cube for a few questions :)

Good Luck,

Pillow
November 22nd 2002, 00:14
3 for all according to Wilson... Not sure why I was thinking 2..?

The shims are the same though.

The only shims that are different are from the T1 6 volt engines. Smaller somehow.

Sandeep
November 22nd 2002, 10:50
Thanks for the info Pillow.

I just thought of something...... silly me... I have a frikin siezed T1 sitting on my garage floor...

I will pull the T1 shims and compare them to the T4 shims. I will post pics and dimensions this weekend. Time to get to the bottom of this mystery.....

Sandeep

Hermann Ortlepp
November 24th 2002, 00:14
Hi, type1 shims will not work on a type4 engine.
The type 1 crank size (at the front bearing where the shims fit) is 55mm ,and the type 4 is 60mm. you could get them in the same thicknes, but like I said they would not fit over the crank because there ID is to small.
On a type 4 you can use 2 shims or more, never les.
BTW,shims from a wasserboxer will work.
Regards Hermann.:D

sdp65
November 26th 2002, 03:18
Hey there,
if you are still looking for new shims. Bus-Boys has them and they are having a sale right now for the end of the year....
www.bus-boys.com/page1.html#flywheel
http://www.bus-boys.com/page1.html#flywheel they should have what you want.....
Scott

Massive Type IV
November 26th 2002, 11:44
YOU MUST HAVE 3 SHIMS, No more and No Less!!

The endplay must be adjusted with varying thicknesses of the 3 shims. European motorworks sells them new. I never reuse old ones.

TI and TIV shims are different, the TIV shims are 6mm larger than a TI shim.