PDA

View Full Version : Researching IV cranks...

korijo
November 24th 2002, 07:11
I am looking to do some research before purchase of a counter balanced 2.0L crank. As for stroke, std or 74mm?? Still undecided.

Here is the low down:
Perf. web cam/lifters for 40 IDF's
stock p/c's
heads: 2.0L (duh) w/ HD single springs

The car is for my 2nd son (on the way), so its mainly "aggressive" street car (914)

still deciding or rockers, crank, rods. Any ideas? Place and price, please.
Thanks

cnavarro
November 24th 2002, 10:01
You can go up to a 78mm crank and still have vw journals. As far as where to get a crank, I would recommend DPR or Demello. A nice welded, counterweighted, balanced, and nitrided crank should run you about $425-450. The strength of the welded crank really depends on the quality of the work done by the shop, and both Demello and DPR are known for the quality of their work. You shouldn't worry about using a welded 74 (or 78 for that matter) or a stock forged 71mm, as both are very strong and will work great in whatever combination you eventually choose to use.

Just remember not to go wild on the dispacement and stick to 96mm cast iron cylinders and you should be able to keep your engine more reliable, say vs using 103/105s. Otherwise, if you want more HP and to make it reliable, you'll want to invest some money in better cylinders, like Biral Babies or Nickies. We have tons of information on each product line on our web site at http://www.LNengineering.com. I'd also recommend reading over Jake's website at http://www.aircooledtechnology.com to see what combinations he has dreamed up and his comments on each of them.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

Massive Type IV
November 26th 2002, 11:54
Go straight to a 78 stroke and match it with a TI rod journal and a 5.4 H beam rod! if you don't do it now, you'll wish you had later.

korijo
November 26th 2002, 22:56
Jake,
Do I need to clearance the case for the 78 mm stroke?
Thanks

Massive Type IV
November 26th 2002, 23:01
whats rods are you using? cam clearance is the issue, and with any added stroke and certain rods you will need to "make it fit"

korijo
November 27th 2002, 01:16
Jake,
I was going to use standard 2L rods, or "rabbit rods" rebushed to 24mm pin. I was also wondering cost. 225 for balanced, bushed, etc. rabbit rods. I dont know rebuild cost for 2L rods. Do you?
Thanks

Massive Type IV
November 27th 2002, 03:11
Stock rods are too short for a stock 2.0 engine in my opinion...they weigh 700+ grams, and have weak bolts... The rabbit rods are about the same but require more clearancing.

I would use a TI journal on the crank, and a TI chromoly rod. CB has a part#c 1289 riod that works perfect for this, little clearancing needed and they hold my 160 ponies just fine.

The only thing is that you will need a set of 22mm pinned pistons to make it work right, I have used a 94mm TI piston(B) to make it work inside a 94mm TIV cylinder.

I have a brand new set of Mahle 94Bs in the box without cylinders if anyone needs them for 100 bucks.

SPEEDY57TUB
November 27th 2002, 14:38
Originally posted by Massive Type IV. Go straight to a 78 stroke and match it with TI rod journal and 5.4 H beam rod! if you don't do it now, you'll wish you had later.

and

Originally posted by Massive Type IV
Stock rods are too short for a stock 2.0 engine in my opinion...they weigh 700+ grams, and have weak bolts... The rabbit rods are about the same but require more clearancing.

I would use a TI journal on the crank, and a TI chromoly rod. CB has a part#c 1289 riod that works perfect for this, little clearancing needed and they hold my 160 ponies just fine.

The only thing is that you will need a set of 22mm pinned pistons to make it work right, I have used a 94mm TI piston(B) to make it work inside a 94mm TIV cylinder.

I have a brand new set of Mahle 94Bs in the box without cylinders if anyone needs them for 100 bucks.

mmm, maybe, but, Jake can this be a possible combination for that Rat engine we have discussed making out of that 1.7 I have