PDA

View Full Version : type iv question

havik180
November 29th 2002, 13:14
I found a 75 2.0L for $550 , its a long block BUT it says that the engine will NOt make a complete rotation.Is this a fair price for that motor ?Is it expensive to rebuild a type iv ? And how much H.P. does the 2L have in stock form (roughly)?

zen
November 29th 2002, 20:15
i am no expert, so someone else correct any misinformation in this...

that seems too high considering the condition to me. i bought a running (at least supposedly, it does turn) one for $900 and there are better deals than that out there. that was just a fair price.

from what i have learned, that is a good year to have if you are going to run stock or mild, at least if it is a 914 engine. the 1.8s are better if you are going to go wild. mostly due to the heads. find out the engine code and match it to the chart in the link below to get more info. hp can run between 75-100 in stock form.

http://tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm

korijo
November 30th 2002, 03:02
What kind of car is it going into? 2L heads are going for 200 a piece (good ones, anyway) Its a fair price, IMO, because a rebuild is necessary, helping in core costs savings.
Although, 75 2L heads are slightly different than the rest (valve guide differences), they should be "worth" it in the end.

Just my .02

Pillow
December 2nd 2002, 13:39
No way $500.

If it cannot fully rotate something inside it fragged. This could be minor or render the whole thing to the scrap pile, it is a gamble.

I would offer $100 and nothing more. Still a gamble.

NYBugman1972
December 2nd 2002, 15:29
Heck. I went to a Porsche show and I could have had my pick of complete running engines of all sizes for anywhere under $500, and a fully upright converted 2.0 for $800.

Dosn't sound very good at that price. Either make him an offer lower or move on.

Joseph
December 3rd 2002, 17:15
I found an engine in the junkyard; it also makes a partial rotation. I asked the guy what he wanted, fifty bucks. I am going back to find the number on the case. I couldn't see one except for on the fan housing. It was an automatic; the engine's out of the car w/ a flexplate. Isn't it possible that the fan housing was changed? If so, where are the other locations for the numbers?