PDA

View Full Version : How much $$$ to go fast?

super vw
November 30th 2002, 02:54
Ok, first off im only 16 years old (:silly: ) and im on a fairly limited budget as far as spending money goes. I know this has been asked before (maybe?), how much would you think it would cost to get my stock 74 super beetle to get going "quick" and fast. and what kind of things can you bolt on to achive this?
Im asking this because i would like to some day enter in some PCA auto croses to play around with my dad (85 911 carrera):D

BTW... i will for sure do some tire ,suspention and brake upgrades before i start bolting up more ponies;)

Thanks!
Jon
:silly:

korijo
November 30th 2002, 03:15
As far as bolt on, dual carbs is easily accomplished without shelling out tons of loot. Well, depnding on the carbs (LOL;-).
Muffler, header, elec. ingnition, etc. all "bolt on" upgrades. IMO, do everything else first. Then upgrade for more horses. You dont want to go super fast, and not be able to stop :- (
HTH.

vujade
November 30th 2002, 07:46
you could also change your rockers to 1.4 ratio rockers.
this will give you more lift & make it feel like you have a performance cam

the three things I would do first are replace the stock exhaust with a good 4 into 1 header, then get a Bosch 009 distributor w/ a pertronix ignitor installed (this gets rid of the points) & then upgrade the carbs.

As far as carbs go, if you cant afford dual carbs, you could always get a weber progressive carb. I have used one of these on a 1600 with a 4 into 1 header & 009 and this combo worked really well. I was able to burn out with my ghia with me & 3 other people in the car. Or if you have a little more money, you could go the dual Kadron route. These will work well on your 1600 with those mods & can be upgraded to work with your motor if you increase the displacement someday.

I am sure there are people here that can help you even more then what has already been said.....

super vw
November 30th 2002, 15:00
Thanks... but what about a turbo? i was reading some stuff about the AJ-slims low budget kit (although 2 grand isn't all that low budget) is there any turbo "kits" that can can be had for lower than 2 grand a pop?

TitoRay
November 30th 2002, 21:37
I don't know of any turbo kits for less than 2k. But if you get a larger displacement (or stock) engine with a stock stroke, then add a turbo, you can have huge amounts of horsepower with less trouble than buying carbs, increasing stroke, splitting the case, adding this and that, etc...
At the same time, Vujade is on the right track. Go to aircooled.net and look under the technical section for "How to Get the Most out of VW Engine." Very honest and up front ways to make your engine powerful. It will also tell you whats easy or hard, and what is worth the money and work.

TitoRay
November 30th 2002, 21:38
Also check www.turbocity.com as well as the aforementioned www.lowbugget.com for handy turbo kits around 2k.