PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Rockers?

Pillow
December 3rd 2002, 17:21
Does anyone out there make aluminum rockers for a T1 or T4?

I was in the junkyard last weekend and playing with some Ricer cars motors... They use aluminum rockers with tee tiny valve stems and springs with ungodly redlines. Why can't we have the same luxury?

The down side is maybe with the pushrods the rockers need to be steel as to remain strong over extended mileage.

If Oliver now has titanium pushrods why not titanium rockers? :D

Thanks,

kdanie
December 4th 2002, 11:58
Adrian, I think Pouter (sp?) makes aluminum roller rockers.

ken

cnavarro
December 4th 2002, 12:59
Shad's Pauter rockers measured out to be 1.51:1. Aside from cost, the only real problem I see with them is a lack of lubrication, since they don't have any provision for oiling. He's been running his for 15,000 some odd problems with no problem. They sure look neat tho.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

BergRace
December 4th 2002, 13:12
Are they lighter than stock considering their size?

P.J.Berg.

Pillow
December 4th 2002, 15:09
I would imagine nothing in stock rocker ratio size?

I am not a huge power junkie so I think 1.5 would be over the top in my case.

... Just trying to explore the posibilities of a superlight valve train. But boy are those rice rocker light!

Charles, can you whip up a batch with the next run of Nickies :)

Slick
December 4th 2002, 20:11
I used the Pauter raockers for the last 2 years and had many problems.
I run a 1.8 F Production 914 in SCCA. The first problem encounterd is lift at the valve. The rockers need a special cam for them to work. I had a pauter cam that was .368 at the cam and .548 at the valve. Many clearance problems to deal with.
My last race, the roller on one rocker broke and went into the engine.
Jake broke the engine down and said that the ramps were too steep. That is why I broke so many stainless valves at the head.
You can not have all that lift and compression too.

Massive Type IV
December 5th 2002, 01:12
Yep....He's right ....

I have only found 3 cams that work well with the aluminum rockers from Pauter in a TIV .....If they would just make them in a stock ratio everything would be fine, but they won't.....already tried.

I have a set in my Powerstroke bus engine, next valve adjustment I'm pulling them off for stockers.

Oliver Knuf
December 6th 2002, 13:52
You can easily make your own needle bearing rockers out of your own shafts if you have a skilled machineman by your side. Lubrication is as hard as on every other needle bearing rocker. Btw, the stockers have 1,31:1 and the gain to 1,48~1,5:1 is not pretty much. Lighten the originals and make them solid on the shafts, that makes sense. Use original swivel foot adjusters on the 8mm rockers, then you have a nice combination!