PDA

View Full Version : type 1 help

rip
December 8th 2002, 00:06
I need some help I posted something very similar to this in the speed and drag forum, but figured I would get some good answers here too.

I'm planning to build a nice street motor for my daily driven '63 bug. Money pending, but I know I want quality parts so I won't have to do this again. I hope to be able to pull some major miles out of this next engine.

I was looking at type 1 1776 or the 2007. I don't want to go any bigger than a 2007 especially for a daily driver. I guess I'm just worried about being able to use a real street motor without reliability issues. I want some major miles on this thing without having to replace/rebuild stuff for at least 50k miles (heads and normal maintenance exempt). Am I expecting to much?

I figured, knowing how I drive I'd may be better with the 2007 but building it on the conservative side, instead of pushing a mild 1776, I could get more miles out of a 2007 without heating issues and rebuilds every few thousand miles. I wouldn't mind being able to have more usable power at the lower rpms. But, am very weary of running a stroked motor especially one that may need to shimmed to correct the overlap(?) or have a reliable rod ratio.

Now this is where I hope you guys can help. I was looking through some of the old posts about using a type 4 in a bug. Help me out here, but the relaiblity and power a type 4 engine has is hard to pass up. Hey jake I know your really the leader in this whole thing, adding type 4's in bugs. So I peaked at some of the stuff on your site. Seems very promising. Are there any reasons more people don't go this route? Are parts really that hard to find/expensive?

What is the stock stroke/bore size for the type 4s? And can you really use the bore/stroke combinations that you list for the 2056 and 2270 engines without worry, they seem huge. But that may just be because I've only concitrated on t1 motors. Are the engines fuel injected, or only a option?

Performance wise how will a type 4 with the same hp compare to a type 1? Will t4 pull like stroked t1? Where is it's power is it through out the RPM or is it only high end power? So then which would be a better performer a t1 2007 or a stock t4 (?) or how about a 2056?

It was mentioned that the 2270 is a favorite, but is it like the t1 2275 and really only meant for racing?

Also how hard is it to find parts for a type 4 engine, I understand that a vw engine resists wear very well, but it would be nice to still find parts in 10 or 20 years from now. Are there any companies out there that currently manufacture new type 4 parts? Are there any parts in particular for a type 4 that would be hard to find? VW was good at making stuff interchangable, can type 1 internals be used on a type 4? Thanks for any help and information about these engines, I know its asking a lot to try and sum up this stuff.

rip
December 9th 2002, 17:25
what sort of cases do I need for a good type 4 motor?

Are there any to stay away from?

Are there any numbers on a case to look for?

thanks