PDA

View Full Version : Type 4 engines I can use??

Cyrus2Dope
December 8th 2002, 14:49
I have available a 1983 type 4 engine with fuel injection (planned on ditching the injection) and i was curious if this type of engine was usable to convert to an upright and throw into my 66 bus. I have been told that it is not wise to use that engine, but the adviser was not to sure. Does any one have an answer to my ordeal, if this engine is not usable, what kind of t-4 2.0 liters are usable?

kdanie
December 8th 2002, 21:04
I believe that year had a one piece sealed breather box of aluminum, previous years had an open top that had a breather box bolted on. Your engine can be used with a 911 cooling shroud/fan, the breather must be machined off anyway.... You have rectangular exhaust ports also, harder to get exhaust for but popular in europe, they flow very well with good porting. Other than those 2 things they are the same.
ken

Cyrus2Dope
December 8th 2002, 22:00
so i cant use the normal type 1 fan?? and should i use the injectoin it comes with or get webers? uhhmmm the engine is in the van still, so it has all the stock exauhst an stuff... ? suggestions? is it worth the work or should i look for sum else, it waz only 200 i got the computer for the injectors too

kdanie
December 9th 2002, 17:26
You can't use the stock injection with an upright conversion, the shroud is in the way. You must use carbs or a fabricated FI system.
ken

Cyrus2Dope
December 9th 2002, 22:37
thanks for your help bro
peace