PDA

View Full Version : T4, Mallory w/vacuum

Ron Roberts
December 12th 2002, 01:09
I know some folks use the Mallory on the T4 with great results. Has anyone on a T4 used the Mallory with vacuum advance? I'd like to know how it worked out, both performance and fuel economy.

Thanks,
Ron

regis101
December 12th 2002, 23:10
I recently bought one from aircooled.net for our 78 westy. Pretty much stock with a header, K&N airfilter, and for now, a pertronix in a stock dizzy. Haven't had time to put in the mallory yet. I also bought the spring kit for more adjustability and the graph chart. The tech source at ac.net stated that mallory's factory curve is better than stock. I also e-mailed mallory to ask about dialing in the vac. canistor. I do already know this from years gone by, but still wanted their input. They replied that the vacuum is set at 12-14 degrees. It is adjustable. Mallory set the factory cent. at 24. So, add this up along with initial and I get up to 45. The stock dizzy hovers about 42. I should be good to go with Mallory's factory settings as a baseline. I plotted VW's graph ( from the Bentley) along side the Mallory. Both start out around 1100. Which is good because you don't want the advance to begin below idle speed. They are pretty close in curve with the mallory a little more aggressive. I think it will be a good place to start. I will want to try the Orange-Orange curve and also the Brown-Orange curves. The mallory benefits from precise triggering and good craftsmenship. What was the question?