PDA

View Full Version : Type IV Flywheels

SPEEDY57TUB
December 14th 2002, 18:37
:confused:

What are the part numbers on the 210-mm or 215-mm flywheels I should look for? Apart from the bearing bushing, what other mods will I need to do for the conversion to use either? And, are the inside diameters actually 210-mm and 215-mm for these flywheels?
------------------

:confused:

Michael Ghia
December 23rd 2002, 17:08
The T4 flywheels that I have seen don't have part numbers on.. although they obviously have a part number designated to them.
The easiest way to know which is which is to measure.
The 200, 210 and 215mm T4 flywheels (200mm very rare.. if you see one... get it!) all have the ring gear sitting proud of the rest of the metal on the flywheel.
The 228mm 2.0 flywheel has more material around it and the ring gear sits level with the material of the flywheel. It's easier to understand it when you see it... sorry no pics :)
Yes the mating surface is usually pretty accurate to 210 or 215mm.
The 914 flywheels are deeper (designed for the 901 gearbox) but are pretty rare and are forged instead of being cast.
The pilot bearing is all you need worry about to marrying it to a Bug gearbox but make sure the endfloat is set correctly when you change the flywheel.
You can also use Wasserboxer flywheels as they use the same part. You can usually find a dead T25 in a scrap yard with the engine still there.
Happy hunting
MG