PDA

View Full Version : turbo options and motor to go with it

6Speed
December 18th 2002, 02:38
Right now I'm just in the planning stages of a Beetle, so I am trying to get a list of all the parts I want/need.

So far from my searching I have found 3 companies (I think thats all) that make a turbo kit for a type 1.

low budget 1600T kit. starts at $2195.00 http://lowbugget.com/1600t.html

CBperformance hideaway turbo kit $3,095.95
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=286

Turbocity turbo kit $1995.00
http://www.turbocity.com/VWTurboKit.htm

I don't know anything about the turbo that comes with the CBP kit (Schwitzer SlA turbo), but the Turbo city and the low budget kit say they come with a T3, which I have read is a good turbo.

The CBP kit says it will fit under stock deck lid. Turbocity says you have to use spacers. I didn't see if the low budget kit would fit under stock deck lid?

CBP kit comes with dual carbs, the other two go with a single carb.

Judging from the info on these kits, which one looks like the best kit? They all look like they're very complete.

I am planning on building a street motor specifically for the turbo. Something strong and reliable that will get me to work, school, dates etc. I'm not just gonne slap this thing on a stock motor. :)

Any suggestions on what motor combinations I should go with (specifically for turbo apps)?

Zack

lightning bug
December 18th 2002, 18:29
Your turbo selection depends alot on your engine displacement. Figure on a size you want to build then select a turbo. You need to figure out efficiency. Are you running an intercooler? How much boost? I personally am not a big fan of the carb/turbo set-up. Something about fuel in my turbo. You'll get ALOT more out of EFI/engine management, especially if its daily driven. ***(if its in your budget)***. Take it one step at a time. Figure out your engine displacement 1st. I'm not familiar with those kits as I'm building my own. (2165 T1) My friend daily drives his 2275 T with 15 PSI and no problems. Another.. 1915 @10PSI. Mine will also be daily driven. All with engine management.

6Speed
December 19th 2002, 03:13
Hmmm the EFI looks to run around 1500.00 give or take a few hundred, depending on options. Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it some more.

I mainly want this car to be a good reliable (and I know efi will only help that) car for daily driving, but with the turbo, for a little fun factor. I just can't see myself trying to merge in traffic with only 40hp. :)

TitoRay
December 19th 2002, 15:24
Just reading here and there on things about turbo's:

1776-1914cc engines are good. Turbos like smaller stroke. This will also increase the engine life. I have heard CB's turbo creates immense horsepower but takes a while to setup. VWTrends did a article on Turbocity's and said it was great, easy to install and doubled the horsepower of their stock engine (40+hp to 80+hp on the dyno). Don't know much about Low Buggets. Probably a rather nice setup coming from them(him).

Once again, these are all just things I have read here and there and I may be wrong.

Supa Ninja
December 19th 2002, 16:09
I may be mistaken But isn't the Clyde Buggies kit a dual 48mm throttle body Turbo Kit. Thats the one I would run, I believe also it could be run as closed loop with a oxygen sensor or open loop with mixture control on the dash.

Nick

6Speed
December 19th 2002, 17:46
Originally posted by Supa Ninja
I may be mistaken But isn't the Clyde Buggies kit a dual 48mm throttle body Turbo Kit. Thats the one I would run, I believe also it could be run as closed loop with a oxygen sensor or open loop with mixture control on the dash.

Nick

From their site: Kits are shipped complete and ready to install with exhaust system, Schwitzer turbo, waste gate, throttle bodies, harness, computer, fuel pump and regulator.

Does this mean that the kit comes with an EFI setup?

Supa Ninja
December 19th 2002, 17:55
Thats what I recall, Turbo Fuel injection. I'm going to read up on it tonight, I wander if they have a type IV kit?

Nick

lightning bug
December 19th 2002, 23:37
Originally posted by 6Speed
Hmmm the EFI looks to run around 1500.00 give or take a few hundred, depending on options. Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it some more.

I mainly want this car to be a good reliable (and I know efi will only help that) car for daily driving, but with the turbo, for a little fun factor. I just can't see myself trying to merge in traffic with only 40hp. :)

$1500. AN EXAMPLE-- I'm using:

-SDS Engine management- FULL ADJUSTABILITY (NO laptop- simply use the hand-held controller) with ignition control and DIS. Its worth it just for the adjustability.

-Single Mustang 50mm. (approx. 450 cfm.) Throttle body- from junkyard- single is much easier to set up than duals and it hasn't been proven that either produces more/less HP. Plus more room in engine compartment for plumbing.

-making my own intake manifold

-balanced and blueprinted injectors

-CB fuel rails

-Golf fuel pump and surge tank

AGAIN FOR EXAMPLE:

All of this costs just as much as a CB kit.
Check it out..... www.sdsefi.com
If anyone's interested in any of these SDS systems alone, feel free to e-mail me for a better price.

Turbos are definitely cool. I'd 'charge my food processor if I could. I'm also building a 2.0 Turbo for my Rabbit.
:silly: