GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 31st 2003, 14:07
Administrator

Angry Hard starting Engine !

$#%$%

I tried all weekend to get my engine started but I'm close to giving up ! Its a 914 2.0 (GA Stock) with 44 IDF's and 050 dizzy.

When I installed the dizzy, I made sure #1 was at TDC on the compression stroke, and the rotor lined up with the notch in the distributor body. I then wired the ignition wires counter clockwise (1, 2, 3, 4) as the rotor fires clockwise 1-4-3-2. With this alignment, the condensor/capacitor sits facing towards the engine decklid.

All components are new (44 IDF's, fuel pump, 050 dizzy, Bosch 12v coil without resistance, and 8mm plug wires)

I have fuel going to the carbs (look down the barrel and press accelerator, fuel squirts down). I think I have spark at the plugs, tough to check with only one person. I will check for spark at the plugs tonight with my helper.

I wired the coil with the dizzy wire (green) to -ve, along wiht the 914 tack wire, then I have 2 wires to the +ve side of the coil, 1 for backup lights and 1 that leads to the front of the car to a fuse. These are stock wires in my '74 standard.

When I crank over the engine, it does not crank over as fast as my stock 1600 did. I think it could be because there is more volume in the cylinders that the starter is trying to compress when turning over.

So what am I missing ? I've wasted about 8 hrs this weekend trying to start this pig and nothing is working !

HELP !

Sandeep
Old March 31st 2003, 21:45
Administrator

Angry GRRR !

Ok,

I checked for spark on #2 cylinder and its a strong blue spark.

I also let the fuel pump run for about 3 mins with the ignition on and checked that I was getting fuel when I pumped the throttle.

Well, everything looks good, but when I try and crank the engine, it cranks slowly ...

Could this be the problem ? :befuddled

Sandeep
Old April 1st 2003, 01:56

Yeh, that is strange. Everything should work, since you already mentioned most pitfalls.
I would almost suggest that if the engine internals are 'old' and worn, that you might not have enough compression. That would mean to measure compression in each cylinder. On the other hand, your starter motor or battery might be on its last legs. Try charging the battery for a night and/or replace your starter motor. A good 1600 (0,7hp?) starter motor should easily give a quick enough turn to start her up.
Good luck,
Walter
Old April 1st 2003, 08:50

Thumbs up Valves???

Sandeep, did you check that when you set for TDC that it wa sactually TDC on the compression stroke ? It sounds silly ,but some people have set the TDC for the exhaust stroke by accident. Worth a check if you have not done valves a few times

P.S my 2332 with 48idfs is a bit slow to start. i have to pump it and it fires and then stops. I do it again and again and it slowly comes to life. Once alive you can start it and stop it,
You have fuel and spark the two things you need. I would try setting your timing at 8 degrees BTC and check what I suggested before. It sounds like you need to compress that mixture !. It wont happen if it has been accidentally set for OPEN at TDC. Good luck!

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!
Old April 1st 2003, 10:40
Administrator

Question

Thanks for the help so far.

I don't think it is the valves because I took the cover off the 1-2 side and watched the intake valve open, and then shut on # 1. I then turned the engine over till the pulley mark was at TDC.

I didn't actually feel (with a wooden dowel as some have suggested) that the piston was at TDC when the pulley was at TDC. I will check on this tonight though to verify.

I have the dizzy set at 7.5 deg BTDC.

I will also try charging the battery for a night as well as try a boost to see what happens.

Sandeep
Old April 2nd 2003, 09:25
Administrator

Question

I checked #1 for TDC on compression stroke by removing the plug and inserting a wooden pencil in the chamber while turning the crank. It verified that TDC on the pulley is infact TDC.

So I think I have narrowed it down to compression and possibly old fuel ?

I've had the car stored for the winter with 3/4 tank of gas. Its 87 octane and I've read the 914 2.0 GA required 91 octane ?

I've charged the battery and noticed now that it does turn over quite a bit faster ... just like the old 1600 now.

I'm going to try some starting fluid to see if I get any sort of combustion. If I do, then I think the problem is old fuel.

Sandeep
Old April 2nd 2003, 11:23

It is amazing what a fresh good battery can do. Been there done that and wasted the profanity. For some reason it is only on new engines it is a pain.

Sounds like you are good on spark/timing.

Good Luck,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 2nd 2003, 22:07
Administrator

Talking CONTACT !!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Its a runner !!

Its amazing what a little starting fluid will do. It fired right up. I guess it needed a little 'push' after sitting for so long. Sounds like an airplane with out that muffler !

The oil pressure is at 40 psi and its amazing how fast the CHT got to 250 deg. Oil temp hit 130 deg before I had to shut it off. Don't want the neighbors complaining !

Now to get it ready for the muffler shop.

Sandeep
Old April 3rd 2003, 03:27

Thats good news! Good luck on the further build-up.
Walter