GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 4th 2003, 08:20

2L type 4 (914) rebuild options

With regards to my 2l Type 4 engine GB-code out of a 914.
I have a good bottom end and good heads but need to get replacement bits to fit between them! (I.e Bareels and pistons)

I like the idea of a bigger engine but would be quite happy with 2 litres of displacement as long as I can keep the compression to above 8:1 (preferably nearer 9!)
I beleive that in original stock form my engine ran domed pistons (Euro spec 914) with a high compression (10:1), but cannot find replacements anywhere, so it looks like I will have to make do with flat pistonjs. Anyone any idea where is the cheapest place to get 2 Litre replacement B+P's (to the UK!)?
Can I increase compression again my skimming the heads?
Or can I recover some of this compression by using larger displacement B+P's? How much machining required?

I know there's a lot of questions here but I am struggling to decide so would appreciate some input.
Cheers folk!
Dan:coffee:
Old November 6th 2003, 14:32

Originally, your motor had pistons with a shallow dish in them. The compression ratio was 8.0:1. US-spec engines had pistons with a larger dish, and a 7.6:1 compression ratio. The Bus pistons had a much larger dish...

There are flat-top 8:1 pistons available now from several sources; I think Mahle makes some. Not all that cheap, sadly... A lot of suppliers in the US can get the parts for you, but shipping and duty and such is going to make it more expensive. You can probably check the German retailers like Mittlemotor and Reichert and so on. Maybe LA Performance can get a decent deal on them??

For more compression, you can go with custom pistons or you can flycut the heads. You can do other stuff as well, but those seem to be the most popular options.

Measure everything (combustion chamber volumes, deck height, dish or dome volume if any, etc.) and crunch the numbers to see what your compression ratio will be. Small changes in volume can have large effects on the ratio.

You can go larger on the pistons--the 96mm ones are a pretty popular option, and will give you 2056cc displacement. To figure the compression with them, you will have to mock up the motor and do the measurements and crunch the numbers. Not sure who you'd get 96es from in Europe, though. There's a place called AA Automotive in San Francisco that carries them for something like $300, but the cylinders may be a bit suspect. It might prove better to have your stock 94s honed out to 96es by someone who knows what they're doing, then use the aftermarket 96mm pistons.

--DD