GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 2004, 23:03

Not Counter Rotational Torque

I’m not talking about torque causing the lifting action but rather the force transmitted to the TA from the wheels which push the car forward. Physics would say that the force exerted by the wheels to the chassis through the TA has two components, a horizontal force and a vertical force. The horizontal force pushes the car forward and the vertical force pushes the car either up or down depending on the angle of the TA. The amount of the vertical force is dependent on the angle of the TA relative to the horizontal.

Or, a another way of explaining it --- looking at the passenger side for example, if the TA angles down to the rear, the force exerted by the wheel will try to cause the TA to move in a counter clockwise rotation. In order to do so it must lift the car.

It would be easier to explain this with a drawing but I don’t know how to do it on my PC.

Not that it matters, but don’t ladder bars lift the car? I don’t believe I have ever seen a ladder bar design that could push the rear of the car down. Maybe if excessively long, push the front end up and thereby helping weight transfer to cause the rear of the car to squat from the additional load. Also, it seems to me that the counter rotational torque is absorbed by the ring gear in either case (fixed axle or IRS). But then I have been wrong before.

The bottom line is, I think that among other handling problems created when lowering a Bug, anti-squat should also be given serious consideration.