GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 18th 2004, 12:45

hubs?

those with 944 hubs or even Vdubcustoms.com billet hubs do you think you will ever have to replace them?

do hub wear out?

thanks
Rip
Old August 18th 2004, 16:46

only if you clip a curb at speed or something.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 19th 2004, 01:07

so hubs should never wear out, only if something mechincal goes wrong? The reason why I ask is because I want to get a brake system where I can replace parts though local general auto stores.

I like the idea of going to the local autozone and getting replacment rotors and calipers.

also is billet stronger than iron? Well if you use a drum verus a billet hub would either really wear out. Like bearing bores wearing out or something, but didn't think so drums never needed much more than being replace for bad groves or just to be lathed. But, I know that aluminum suffers from fatigue from years of use, does billet aluminum have similar problems?

Hey while I got your guy's attention, what do you guys think of Lanners idea of making drums into hubs?

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of redrilling for 5x??? bolt paterns because of the lack of reinforcement, and then to cut the drum part off and to as it as a hub seems to be on the extreme side of things. Any one ever see or hear about this sort of modification? Safe?

thanks
rip
Old August 19th 2004, 02:02

If you want to be able to get replacement parts at your local auto parts store I would stick with as many VW parts as possable in your brake kit. I have tried to get simple Porsche parts from local sources and the all look at me like I'm the crazy one. So if you go with the 944 hubs get them modified to accept the VW wheel bearings instead of making the Porsche bearings fit the spindle. Just my .02 cents...
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old August 19th 2004, 12:44

cool, so what about the hub material?

Cause I don't know what would be best

use a 944 hub
machine the drum as a hub
or use a billet hub

I'm concerned with the strength of the drum machined into a hub, some people don't even like to redrill them for a different bolt pattern.

I'm also not to familiar to the billet material that Lanners uses for the hub. Does any other companies new-old-aftermarket use aluminum as hubs or another heavy duty part?

And well the 944 hub seems to be the tried and true method, but then again modification is needed, plus then stuck with the porsche bolt pattern.

Any thoughts?
thanks
Rip
Old August 19th 2004, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip
cool, so what about the hub material?

Cause I don't know what would be best

use a 944 hub
machine the drum as a hub
or use a billet hub

Does any other companies new-old-aftermarket use aluminum as hubs or another heavy duty part?

Any thoughts?
thanks
Rip

The 944 hubs are aluminum and they aren't even billet, they are cast. It all really comes down to what you want to spend. Remember that all of the prices on vdubcustoms are in Canadian dollars so figure about 25% less in U.S. dollars. I know I spent months looking at braking options before I finally decided on my set-up.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old August 19th 2004, 23:59

Drums to Hubs

Years ago(10) my brother in law had a Hyunday Scoupe with over 200hp, he wanted reardiscs,but there were no kit.I suggest him to use the drum for hub,so he did in conjuction with Eclipse rotors and calipers( brackets done by him self also) The car is still running with no problems at all from the hubs.My two cents
Old August 20th 2004, 14:13

thanks see I think this is my greatess problem, I havn't been in the industry that long to know whether thing like drilling out the drums is okay or whether the guys that say not to do it have merit, or if it's just hype to get people to buy more stuff.

thank guys any more stories, I'm hoping we have some people with more first hand experience reply.

thanks
Rip
Old August 23rd 2004, 14:01

An advantage of billet over the machining of the stock drum is you lose a half inch with which to work with the latter. That could narrow your wheel and tire choices depending on your fenders, your wheel's offsets and your suspension set-up. I don't know about the 944 set-up because with me, it is not an option.
Old September 5th 2004, 11:36

hubwear out

You were talking about using drumbrakes to make hubs out of it.I used 5x130 front discs and took of the brake part so I ended up with a hub,I then took a new 911 turbo reardisc and fitted it with the two mounting screws of the 911 disc.I also made brackets to fit the 944 turbo calipers.To bolt the brackets to the spindels I used drumbrake spindels because they use three holes to fit the backplate to.I did almost 1500 kilometers with it even some racing and everything works out great .In total this conversion costs me about 40 euros except from the calipers and discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip
so hubs should never wear out, only if something mechincal goes wrong? The reason why I ask is because I want to get a brake system where I can replace parts though local general auto stores.

I like the idea of going to the local autozone and getting replacment rotors and calipers.

also is billet stronger than iron? Well if you use a drum verus a billet hub would either really wear out. Like bearing bores wearing out or something, but didn't think so drums never needed much more than being replace for bad groves or just to be lathed. But, I know that aluminum suffers from fatigue from years of use, does billet aluminum have similar problems?

Hey while I got your guy's attention, what do you guys think of Lanners idea of making drums into hubs?

I know a lot of people don't like the idea of redrilling for 5x??? bolt paterns because of the lack of reinforcement, and then to cut the drum part off and to as it as a hub seems to be on the extreme side of things. Any one ever see or hear about this sort of modification? Safe?

thanks
rip
Old September 6th 2004, 13:54

Rip, I've heard that as well about not wanting to drill 5th hole in drums. I think that with a lot of older drums there was a webbing reinforcement on the back, which the original bolt holes went through. As to the new hubs from Lanner... Being billet, they should be stronger due to the smelting/refining/finishing and be more uniform in grain structure, which should mean longevity. I'm really sort of guessing, there are a lot of people around that could explain/prove it better than I can.
I'd say go with what you can best afford, Home-built, Modified, Custom, etc. Over engineer everything and replace stuff if it breaks. There are no absolutes, that's why even Porsche sells replacement parts!
Cheers,
Dave
Old September 6th 2004, 18:28

This may be of interest gents............

http://www.airsouls.com/how-tos/rear_discs.htm

I'm doing the same to the rear of my Bug but using BMW M3/5 rotors to match my wheel stud pattern

Al B