GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 27th 2005, 19:57

Lightbulb ??

AS QUOTED BY JEZA

"I appreciate your comments but you have been quite bold, you have forgotten that we are all here to learn and perhaps we don't get it correct first time, so we ask a few questions and realise our mistakes then do it better.

I assume you have done your reading of this site, as you have mentioned that it was perhaps by luck that I matched my components better, judging by some of my other comments. I realised I had a problem with miss matched components very soon after assembling things, so went about to correct it."

This is not a personal dig at any one person, all i'm saying is that if you don't under stand how to do something then ask the experts.

If you look at Jezas first posts on the subject of 944m/c and brake bias it was worrying but now he knows a lot more was it by trial and error?, asking some one or from this forum, lets hope it wasn't from driving down the road and finding out it had **** brakes.

If he asked boygenius for the answer then the chances are he started to do something from a idea that some else had who didn't know what the hell controled brake bias told him about... the blind leading the blind.

be wise, seek advise from the pros, go to the libary get abook out the apperantice mechanics learn from and read up about stuff not form the net, there is to much ****e to filter out.

As a great man said "there is no magic" what was he refering to cars he has produced 3 or 4 awesome books, his name is Carol Smith, may be a bit over the top if your not right in to racing cars"

but go and find out what text books a apperantice mechanic would use and get one, it would be worth its weight in gold, tell you how bolts work, what adding a washer will do, what oiling the tread on a important bolt will do to its torque seting, what shear and double sheer is.
and why wires carry smoke and why the don't work when the smoke gets out.

Learn the basics, the ground rules before you start screewing with important stuff.

I have a qizz for you. if i had a stock beetle caliper and a special disc rotor that fitted to the stub axle it was the same thickness as the std rotor and not vented in any way but the outer diameter was 20mm larger than stock and i fitted mu stock caliper with a special bracket and stock pads what would happen to the front brakes performance
a- would they be better
b- would they be the same
c- would the be worse

opps its all most my bed time...
Old May 27th 2005, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by What-r-u-doing
OH MY GOD, well large fines will slow those down with unsafe vehicles.

I asume that you have worked in the UK and in NZ on vehciles and there for know that it is harder to get a WOF than a MOT?
Nah, a number of friends that did.

Quote:
I have to say that the standard of vehicles in New Zealand is pretty low, but then hell its not much better in the UK
Yeah there is some crap out there on the roads, especially in the backwaters.. but they're (the law) are trying to clean things up.

Quote:
On the roads in New Zealand I saw a 1302s with a rover v8 engine in the back (hmm whats that done to the weight distubution) with a rought as guts roof chop, Upon asking the owner of this vehicle how come the law didn't stop him from driving this beast he told me that he had a modifed vehclie cert (and showedit to me- it was stuck to the firewall and it had the LTSA logo on it) he then said he didn't have a WOF because he had to fix abit of rust in the floor, when i asked him what had he done to the shocks and springs to deal with the incressed weight, and what he had done to the brakes to cope with the extra horsepower and weight he said that they were the stock parts and as far as the LTSA was concerned that was legal, he did say the man who did the checking of the vehcile wanted him to put a bag of sand in the front to counter the extra weight of the engine.... hmm so if this meets the rules in NZ how could you say the rules are thougher in NZ than in the UK???????

Reminds me of a great saying "she'll be right mate"
A 1302... I knew of a 1500 that someone had done this to... at least I thought it was a 1500 chassis (before I was into Beetles), around the Wellington region. Yeah that car sound pretty doge and quite un road legal... realistically he should have had the Wof to be legal on the road- but as you say thats not a hurdle for some people. And the cert sound pretty hap hazzard too, I wonder who the engineer / certifier was?

Basically I think it boils down to crazy people everywhere around the world and nope the laws aren't going to stop them!

CU
Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 20:56

Quote:

This is not a personal dig at any one person, all i'm saying is that if you don't under stand how to do something then ask the experts.

If you look at Jezas first posts on the subject of 944m/c and brake bias it was worrying but now he knows a lot more was it by trial and error?, asking some one or from this forum, lets hope it wasn't from driving down the road and finding out it had **** brakes.
Nah no trail and error- I live at the top of a steep drive, that I'd be too scared to drive down without brakes is excellent order. I couldn't get them bleed up satisfactorily, so started looking at what was wrong. your right though- probably should have looked at the books first before embarking on the brake conversion- and I learned from that mistake too- the rest of my mods have been much better educated

Quote:
If he asked boygenius for the answer then the chances are he started to do something from a idea that some else had who didn't know what the hell controled brake bias told him about... the blind leading the blind.

be wise, seek advise from the pros, go to the libary get abook out the apperantice mechanics learn from and read up about stuff not form the net, there is to much ****e to filter out.

As a great man said "there is no magic" what was he refering to cars he has produced 3 or 4 awesome books, his name is Carol Smith, may be a bit over the top if your not right in to racing cars"

but go and find out what text books a apperantice mechanic would use and get one, it would be worth its weight in gold, tell you how bolts work, what adding a washer will do, what oiling the tread on a important bolt will do to its torque seting, what shear and double sheer is.
and why wires carry smoke and why the don't work when the smoke gets out.

Learn the basics, the ground rules before you start screewing with important stuff.

I have a qizz for you. if i had a stock beetle caliper and a special disc rotor that fitted to the stub axle it was the same thickness as the std rotor and not vented in any way but the outer diameter was 20mm larger than stock and i fitted mu stock caliper with a special bracket and stock pads what would happen to the front brakes performance
a- would they be better
b- would they be the same
c- would the be worse

opps its all most my bed time...
Leverage becomes greater and hence the brakes work better. This one I did know.

Thanks for the recommended author I'll check those out.

Excellent discussion and some scary thoughts... be wise...good advise, think for ones self and understand why something is done that way, don't just accept the info that you are given.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 21:18

getting there

well its good to see you know that quiz??

qoute Jeza "Leverage becomes greater and hence the brakes work better. This one I did know."

But for how long is the question, as the stock calipers and pads will be creating more friction do to greater leverage the heat will incresse quicker and brake fade will occur due to the pads over heating

its all ways ctach 22.
Old May 29th 2005, 15:56

I see that the 944 NA MC just bolts up....does the 944t MC just bolt-up s well? I bought an 87 944T MC for next to nothing...hopefully it works out. I completely diregarded the fact that the turbo MC might not work....