GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 27th 2005, 11:46

Absolute beginners

Hi all,

I'm here in a roundabout way, and am trying to help out a mate of mine who has bought a trike with a Beetle engine/suspension. He wants to upgrade to rear disc brakes, and was considering an empi conversion kit that he had sourced in the UK priced at £350+ postage (I live in Ireland), but I have found the same thing is the US for $199, even given that they have quoted $175 for the postage, with the weak $ that converts to £203 delivered to the door. Could there be a difference in the US spec kit and the UK spec one?

Are there any better options he could consider? I have read some posts on the 944 brakes and understand that there are differences between the early steel suspension as opposed to the later alloy suspension with regard to the track, but this isn't an issue as there will be no bodywork clearance problems with the fenders on the trike, so is it possible to just bolt on the whole set-up (suspension arms/hubs/discs/callipers/driveshaft) from the 944 onto the trike and just change the inner CV to Beetle type, or am I looking at things too simply.
The suspension at the moment is the trailing arm type rather than the IRS ( I think), photo attached.
Old June 27th 2005, 12:03

empi, cb, and others usually sell two types of kits, with or without the parking brake. I'd make sure they are the samething as the without parking brake is about 130 USD cheaper.

also about the rear suspension, yea your missing one thing the IRS arm mount, these can be bought. Then you'd have to weld them in. And I'm not to sure on which spring plates to use. But other than some fabing to install it, it should be to hard depending on your skills.

So it made just be easier/cheaper to get a brake kit, but IRS is good also. Depending on the use of the trike IRS may be worth it.
Old June 29th 2005, 06:43

marcosgraveyard,

where in Ireland are you? I'm living in Portlaoise, working in Dublin.

Have you seen www.southernvolksfolks.com ?

check my website: http://homepage.eircom.net/~veewrx to see what I did with my rear brakes.
Old June 29th 2005, 10:38

Hi Trevor,

I'm in Longford Town, I've been searching the web for a while now and your site is the one I have been looking for, why couldn't I have found it earlier.