GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 8th 2005, 20:19

which rotors on 944 brake install

i have cb dropped spindles, 944 hubs, 968 brembo calipers, done all the work on spindles ie bearing spacers caliper, centralising shims , but not shure what discs to use have mocked up with early 944 rotors 21mm x282mm but been told they are to narrow as could have problems, with pistons popping out of caliper when discs and pads wear down, been told use the 911sc and supersport disc 282mm x24mm is this a straight fit, is this the same as 944 turbo 1986 year only disc, also been told to use the anti sqeal shims , and use an old set of pads behind new pads to make up the difference , when pads wear, is this correct any help appreciated, as this is only thing stopping me fitting my new porsche wheels and brakes any help appreciated
Old July 15th 2005, 19:33

what nobody has anything to say,,,
Old July 17th 2005, 15:52

The 944 NA's are 282x20.4. The T's (early and late) are 298x28mm. What hubs do you have? The T(86 only) and NA rotors will physically fit on the early NA hubs, but because of the shape of the early NA hub, if you put a the 86 T rotor on there it will interfere with your balljoint.

If you have a 4 piston brembo caliper, you need a 28mm wide disk. If you have the sliding ATE's, you need the 20.4mm wide disk.

See here for some more details and pics:
http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Tech/tech_pbrake.htm

Lanner
Old July 20th 2005, 12:35

944 turbo brake conversion,,

hi lanner of your website i have the early na 944 hub part number 477 405 605d, it looks like the pre 87 944 turbo front brake conversion on the site german look.com by alexander niederfahrenhorst, its the 2nd method of 3 ways to fit 944 turbo brakes to a beetle, also on the performance ghia site it says use early 944 rotors with either the sliding calipers or the brembos, it also says on the alexander write up you can not use the 944t 951 discs because they are too big in diameter and the caliper will not mount on the cb dropped b/j spindle, is there a way round this , using a different rotor or have i just got to be carefull to keep an eye on pads as they wear, somebody told me they had shimmed pads out with another set of pads just the metal backing plate so pistons will not come out so far shure there is a better way than this hope you can help thanks bulli
Old July 22nd 2005, 20:19

The 951 rotors and calipers can fit onto the CB spindles, but it requires quite a bit of machining to the spindle. It's not easy, requires machining the spindle, fabricating a caliper bracket that bolts to the spindle, then the caliper bolts to the bracket. See pics at:

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/pbrakes.htm

About 2/3rds of the way down the page look out for kits vdc-010-024/vdc-010-034.

As for shimming the pads to fit the NA rotor.....don't do it.

Lanner