GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 8th 2005, 19:01

HotVW article

Hello everyone! I saw in the last issue of HotVW the article on Udo Reichel's SB an I like it tooooo muchhh!!! It states in the text that he used a coilover rear suspension set up- I have given this much thought as I go along on my build up (74-1303) and think I will use the coilover/mutiple bar set on the rear trans arms trianglated up to the shock towers and tied into the rollbars-
Does anyone have any idea's about my plan? am I going wrong and if I am- where??
I appreciate all the info everybody passed along- it helps to no end the build of cars and the health of the sport
thanks again for all the time U give
nohair
Old December 12th 2005, 15:36

It sounds like you are on the right track as far as integrating the top mount into the roll cage. I would reccomend that you also take a look at your lower shock/coilover mounts to make sure that they are beefy enough. I think most of the guys with rear coilovers are using porsche 944 aluminum trailing arms and they have a more solid lower shock mount. You are also going to at least have to remove the torsion bars and replace your springplate bushings. If you want to go crazy you can get what is refered to as a "Uni-ball"(?) which replaces the spring plate with an adjustable member.
Old December 12th 2005, 17:57

Hello- yes, I think that I will do the Uni-Ball type of link
Do you think that by taking out the torq. bars that I can then open the trans area up more and be able to install the 901- 5 speed easier? also, would you think that raising the trans/engine upwards approx 1 or 1 1/2 inches make the shift rod/trans easier to hook up? I know that this is a suspension section and these questions may not belong here, but it all ties together, UKNOW???
thanks for all the time everyone gives
nohair
Old December 12th 2005, 21:02

Just because you remove the torsion bars doesn't change the structure of the car, the upper shock mounts, trailing arms, and the entire motor are still connected to, and largely supported by the torsion tube, so I would be careful. If you look around on the site, you will see that some people have removed a little material around the shift rod opening to allow fitment of the larger 901 transaxle, but i would use discression.